Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Slipcover

Wow! That's all I have to say. That and.... NEVER AGAIN!!
My back is killing me and I am exhausted! I have spent the last three days making a slipcover for our couch. What a PAIN! But a good use of my new sewing machine.

I didn't think that it would be that hard. Especially after seeing this post (click here). It got me thinking about doing the same for our couch. I think that the original upholstery is ugly and the slipcover that my mom made for it was falling apart after many years of use. Plus it was very bland and blended in with the wall.
I got the fabric at Ikea for dirt cheap, $1.99/yard. I started the process on Monday morning. I cut up the old slipcover and used it as a pattern (after calling my mom to confirm that I could cut up the old one).
Then I laid it on the couch and pinned away. Then came the dilemma of now what.... so I called my mom, for the 2nd time concerning the couch.

Me: "Hi, it's me again. I have another question....I have it all pinned on the couch and it seems like it is going to work. But now what... how do I sew it?? How do I get it off the couch with out it all falling apart??"

Mom: "Well... that's the question. How about you baste it together with big stitches and then take it off and sew it."

Me: "Ok. Sounds good. Thanks."

So I basted, sewed, pinned, sewed, gave up, sewed more, pinned, etc...... and this is the result.



It's not perfect but I think it turned out pretty good. I was also going to do the ottoman (with a different and even cheaper fabric!) but decided that it matched good enough as it was and I will use the fabric for something else.


I am just SO glad that I am done! And never doing that again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Court, I think it looks great and you did a great job. Chuck would have had to help me finish! :)
-MB

Carlee McDot said...

I give it an A+!!