Sunday, February 15, 2009

Projects

We got down to business these past couple weeks and knocked off some DIY projects.

First, I covered the back of the Ikea shelve with wallpaper. I got the paper at Target on sale from their "Home Decor" line. It is really nice stuff. I had never used wallpaper before and the smell brought back memories of my mom wallpapering various rooms when I was little. Overall it was a pretty easy project and I really like how it turned out.



Next on the list of projects was making a headboard. I had been in the market for a headboard for some time now. Always looking at the online and searching craigslist for a good deal. Never found one. Then my mom came to the rescue. She sent me some instructions for one that she found on Joann.com. It turned out to be pretty easy to do. It took us a couple of weeks to actually get to it but I am glad we did. We went to Home Depot last Saturday after the shooting range for the lumber and other random things. It was a bit of a challenge getting it all home since the board did not fit in my car like I thought it would. I still have to get used to the smaller back end. We ended up tying it to the roof. Then we put the wood parts together that night. Sunday, I shopped around for fabric and the other supplies. Monday, I finished upholstering it.

This is the board laying on the batting. You can see all the markings where the buttons will go.


Here is Peach checking it out. She liked playing with the button sticking out.


Here it is waiting to be moved.


The finished product.
I got the fabric at Calico Corners. It is white and has a small quilted pattern. I covered the buttons with the same fabric. Overall the total cost of the project was about $150. Total time was three days but it could easily be done in one if you are organized :)

Here is the project PDF: http://www.joann.com/static/project/0801/P488316.pdf
Webpage: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat13860&PRODID=xprd509570

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

That is so professional looking. Wow, and I like you fabric choice. Well done!

Lindsay said...

Courtnay, so cute! Way to be. Josh and I have the same front pillow (the one with the brown stitching from Target) on our bed. Gotta love Target. Oh, check out this blog: thisyounghouse.com. I think you'll enjoy it!

Chuck, MB, Tessa & Baby #2 said...

You are so talented! I need you to make some pillows for our bed. We bought a really nice comforter from Kohl's but need some accent pillows. Good job!

sagreen said...

Love the headboard, Court! It turned out great. And nice bedspread, too ;)