Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Part Two


I started to push at 7am Wednesday Dec 13th. One week over due. I tried a variety of positions. I don’t think the epi was very strong because I could move relatively easily. I was squatting, kneeling backwards over the bed, on my left side, on my right side, on my back, etc, etc....and that boy would not budge! He was stuck. And I was tired. At 10am the midwife said it was time to think about the vacuum. Not really what I wanted but he really wasn’t moving. And I tried! I really tried. So I said “let’s do it!” They called the doctor in (along with 15 others, I swear!) and they pulled him out. Let’s just say that was the worse thing ever. But it got him out and I am happy about that. He was sideways and stuck under my bone. When they put him on my belly it was the best feeling ever. He came out crying. We waited to cut the cord and then they took him to evaluate his vitals. I think they were concerned because my water had been broke for so long. He did have a bit of a temp but because my temp was ok they didn’t do anything. I got him back with just a diaper and laid him on my chest with a warm blanket over. It was so nice. We cuddled for about an hour and then I had to get up and get cleaned up and changed to move to the recovery room. Once we made it to our new room and the nurses were done checking me out Adam got our parents who were (not so patiently!) waiting in the waiting room. It was great to see everyone and for everyone to meet little Jonah.


Overall his birth went a lot different then planned but I am happy with the results. I am glad I was able to labor for 24 hours naturally. And then I was really happy with the medical interventions when I needed them. At no point was I pressured to do something I didn’t want to do. And really, that was what I was most concerned about. I wanted to be able to labor and deliver as I saw fit. And well, I would have liked it to go differently, but understand that I did all I could and it is what it is.


And my little man was so worth it!

No comments: